Thursday, May 29, 2008

My Acceptance Speech

"I am proud to announce that coming September I will be attending a Bennington College. It is an amazing liberal arts school of no more that eight-hundred undergrad students. Bennington College is located on a quaint little mountain in North Bennington, Vermont. The college opened only seventy-five years ago. The land the school was built on used to be a farm. Many of the buildings still remain from the conversion. All of the literature classes are held in what used to be the main building. The admissions are kept in the old farm house. Many new additions have been added though. There are new student housing complexes, a new student center, and most importantly a new art center. In the art center there are three theaters, the largest spring dance floor in Vermont, and independent studio space for all students taking an art class. It is here that I hope to take architecture and spend my time revolutionizing the way I look at building design.

The student body consist of mostly females--a three to one ratio of girls to guys. This is due to Bennington's long history of being an all girls school. It wasn't until 1969 that they decided to start admitting males. I'm under the assumption that this unfair balance of girls to guys will work in my favor. I visited Bennington last fall. I was witness to many beautiful women in need of companionship. I feel that it is my duty to help them attain it."

-This is the speech I was hoping to give you.

Here is the truth-

Currently I am sitting at my desk (upstairs, on May 29th.) Outside it continues to rain. A chill breeze passes as I attempt to type what I'd rather not. The sad truth is that I was not excepted. It was a long time ago (in mid April) that I received my rejection letter. It was sort and curt. No fluff. Just got to the point. Bennington doesn't want me. It's disappointing not to get in to your first choice, but it's so much worse to not get excepted to your only choice. Yeah.. I sort of made the mistake of only summit my common application to one school. But I have a new plan..

School. Rather important. Although it is far too late to apply to any Private or State School, I can still go to community college. MCTC to be exact. Yes I know it's a bit less glamourous, but it's my only option. Truthfully though, I'm rather thankful that it has come to this. My whole life I've thought of school as something to feud with or as an optical to overcome. It has caused me much unneeded stress. In fact, right now as I write this to you I should be writing an eight page paper. A paper that is required for me to graduate. But once it is done I will be able to graduate. And then I will be free. Well sort of. Which gets me back to what I was trying to say. Being able to take a year off will be relaxing. And the credits I will receive will be far cheaper. Thus leaving me in less debt. My living arrangement makes thing even cheaper. I will be living rent free in Minneapolis with my good friend Zach Werner and his parents. All of this is great. But my hidden goal is to transfer out to Bennington or a different liberal arts school next year. Wish me luck.

I must cut this post short... If any of this is to come true, I will have to get to work on my ever so important paper. The topic of which is Commercial Urban Farming. If you don't know what that is, I guess you'll have to wait until my masterpiece of a paper is finished. I know. I know. Waiting sucks. But sometimes we all must succumb to the passage of time.

No comments: