Sunday, December 02, 2007

Fifty Dollar Parking Spot

Today I woke up the day after our first snowstorm. Slowing arising from my insufficient slumber. I stayed in side delaying the inevitable. Reading. Waiting. I finally got up the courage to go outside to free my car of the snow that must have fallen on it overnight only to fine in snow-locked from the road it was once parked on. It must have been around 4:27, or so the ticket wedged neatly in my driver's side door reads, when a snow plow passed encasing my car in over a foot of compacted snow. Wade through the snow drift and force my car door open and collect the ticket, to whom which my misery is home. I am to be charge $50 to shovel my car onto the road. Starting my beast of a car to turn on the heat and blast the defroster will my my task somewhat less tiresome.

I leave my car and attempt to enter my friend, Max Pascall-Zimble's, new home were I stayed after moving his belongings from Lakeville down to Northfield. I turn the knob but it refuses to give. The door must be locked from the inside separating me from my bag and my warm mittens, the mitten I will need to shovel my way out. I go around to attempt to enter from the garage, but it is also locked. Max and his whole family had already left taking the keys. I return to my Oldsmobile grabbing the shovel on the way out. Receiving help from Allen, who's Blazer is in the same condition as my car, it only takes a few minutes to free the snow around my car. I am left alone to drive myself out. Throwing my car in to first. Then reverse. Back it to first. I inch my way out of my poorly chosen parking spot. Finally being free I have time to notice how much my hands sting from the cold. I wait for Allen to free himself. Then drive away.

Now I am at Blue Monday, writing this pointless post about how I was slightly inconvenienced by a pile of snow. This amount of snow was nothing, more will come. I will be come stuck over, and over again. Maybe going deep into the ditch, where it will take more hands and time to get out. I glad the snow has come. But having spent my last two dollars on a cup of coffee, I am not looking forward for the service charge for being buried by a snow plow.

No comments: